Florida is an outdoor person’s dream. From forests and lakes to stunning ocean beaches, Florida is the ideal state to take your RV and explore. However, if you are planning on hitting the open road and camping with your RV, you will want to ensure you have the proper RV insurance in Florida in place before you head out on your next adventure. Keep reading our blog to learn more about the types of RV insurance offered in Florida and how much it costs.
What Insurance Should I Have on My RV?
Florida requires that all motorists have liability coverage when they are driving, so you will be required to have that if you are driving an RV. Trailers, campers, and fifth wheels that are towed behind a vehicle do not require their own Florida RV insurance, but if you are using one of these, you should consider purchasing additional coverage in case of an accident. At a minimum, you will be required to have the below Florida RV insurance:
- $10,000 Property Damage Liability: This type of coverage will protect you in case of damage caused to the other vehicle or property in a collision.
- $10,000 Personal Injury Protection (PIP): This insurance protection will cover your medical expenses and any passengers you have.
However, besides the above required policies, there are additional types of RV insurance offered in Florida to cover additional expenses. For example, if you live full-time in your RV you may want to consider additional insurance protections like loss assessment, medical payments, or personal liability. Below are some of the most common types of additional Florida RV insurance you may want to invest in:
- Pest damage – This insurance can help pay for repairs when a wild animal like a raccoon or bird damages your RV.
- Roadside assistance – This will help cover towing costs if your battery dies or your RV breaks down.
- Total loss replacement – This will cover the cost of a new trailer or motorhome if yours is totaled as long as the vehicle is less than five years old. After that, the coverage will pay the amount specified on your policy.
- Pet coverage – This insurance policy will cover vet bills up to $1,000 if your pet is hurt in an accident.
How Much is RV Insurance in Florida?
Like any type of insurance, the cost of Florida RV insurance will vary depending on a variety of factors like:
- Claims history: Has there been any previous claims filed on your RV?
- Your driving record: If you have any driving violations, it may increase the price of your Florida RV insurance.
- Type and model: If you have a larger, newer RV it will typically cost more to insure as it is more expensive to fix or replace your RV.
If you’re interested in purchasing, or have recently purchased, an RV or motorhome, you should speak to an experienced insurance services specialist to get the right amount of protection you need for your RV. Dunham Insurance Services is an independent agency offering the best insurance policies throughout Florida and the rest of the country. As an independent insurance agency, they are focused on delivering to their clients an insurance policy that is tailored to their unique insurance needs at a competitive price. Get in touch today to discuss your specific insurance needs!